Monday, April 14, 2008

Misc. thoughts

Years back, as a child I was forced to attend Sunday morning and night services, I can only remember excruciating boredom, hunger "food wasn't allowed inside", and the glaring eyes of disapproving church members, who would talk behind my back while I would draw pictures all over the sermon program I was given.

Now as an adult I have an unquenchable anger at my wasted Sundays, sitting in a church where hate and bigotry was taught every week, and is still being spewed forth from that same pulpit. I cringe when my father tells me that he wishes that Huckabee had been the Republican candidate.

Here are some of Huckabees words of wisdom:
I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution. But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God. And thats what we need to do is amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than trying to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view of how we treat each other and how we treat the family
God's standards eh. Let's review those standards:

The Ten Commandments: Punishment for breaking any of the laws is death by stoning
  1. You shall have no other gods before me
    1. I wonder what GOD this refers to? I guess all the other faiths except Christianity have to be killed, right.
  2. You shall not make for yourself an idol
    1. Now what is the use of this cherry? WTF!? Idol, whats that used for. To an Atheist idols have no meaning, who cares, really.
  3. You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God
    1. Fuck God, he doesn't exist, blasphemy is a victim less crime.
  4. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
    1. What church holds service on Saturdays?
  5. Honor your father and mother
    1. Sorry, but some fathers are child abusers and some mothers are crazy bitches, neither of the prior mentioned should be honored.
  6. You shall not murder*
    1. This didn't seem to stop the 'imaginary' Israelites, but I'll bite, although I do see certain situations when murder might be permitted, e.g. someone who is trying to kill me, I would definitely kill them before they get me.
  7. You shall not commit adultery
    1. Marriage is overrated, relationships are overrated, outside of reproduction, imaginary bonds hold no ground in reality. (you don't have to agree with me this is just my opinion)
  8. You shall not steal***
    1. If I was faced with death from hunger or stealing I sure as hell would steal. I can come up with an infinite other hypothetical situations where stealing would be beneficial.
  9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
    1. This one is ok, but why would you be put to death over breaking this one?
  10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house
    1. If your neighbor has a better house then you and you are not happy with your current situation, why not covet his house? I could see coveting leading to an increase in ambition and a better contributer to society as a whole.
Seems like God's standards are outdated. Now why the hell would anyone want this crap in the constitution?

No comments: